We are excited to announce that the 13th year of the Family Roots program will be offered in partnership with Power To Be Adventure Therapy Society in the aim of supporting families.
Who can attend the program?
Families living in the Greater Victoria region who:
- Have children ages of 8 to 14
- Are not currently involved in family counselling
- Families who are looking for support in coping with:
- Parent-child conflict and power struggles
- Feelings of anxiety, depression, low self-esteem
- Difficulties functioning in school, social skills
- Grief and loss, past trauma
- Families in transition (e.g., separation/divorce, loss of family member, etc)
“The Family Roots program gave our family the opportunity to connect in a meaningful way and face many of our challenges. It was such a gift to be supported by such an open and giving group of people. I can not recommend this program enough.” – mother, FR participant, 2014
What activities will we do?
A group of six to seven families will meet once per month to share in play and adventure over the course of 6 months. The adventure weekends will include activities such as:
- Kayaking and voyager canoeing
- Overnight camping
- Games and team initiatives
- Low ropes
- Nature connection
Each month will also include a “Parents Together” support session held at Commonwealth Recreation Centre. This parent-only meeting will be facilitated by a Registered Clinical Counselor, and supervision for the kids will be provided by Power To Be staff and volunteers. These meetings will provide an opportunity to build a community of support, provide information on various mental health and wellness topics, allow a safe space for discussing the adventure of parenting, and expand resources.
What will our family learn?
- Bonding and community building
- Communication and conflict resolution skills
- Trust and leadership
- Emotional literacy
- Self-regulation skills
- Tapping into our personal resources and strengths
“It really is hard to wrap up how much fun, how much bonding, talking, thinking, introspection, discussion and quiet times affected us so profoundly. So much so that it continues to be present in our everyday lives months after the program is finished. We are a better family because of the program. The program is as good as it is because of the people, that really made the difference. Supportive, kind, non judgemental, helpful, incite full, intelligent brave souls who gave so much of themselves and their time to all of us. Thank you doesn’t seem like enough.” – Father, Family Roots participant.
DatesStarting again in May 2021!!
LocationPower To Be, Prospect Lake, Highlands BC
Fees$25 per family member. This program is subsidized through the ongoing and generous support of Power To Be
For any questions about the program please contact Katy at [email protected] or call 250-885-0275.