Family Roots – Adventure Therapy Group
We are excited to announce that the 9th year of the Family Roots program will be offered in partnership with the Single Parent Resource Centre of Victoria in the aim of specifically supporting single parent families.
Who can attend the program?
Families living in the Greater Victoria region who:
- Are single parent families
- Have children ages of 8 to 14
- Are not currently involved in family counselling
Families who are looking for support in coping with:
- Parent-child conflict and power struggles
- Feelings of anxiety, depression, low self-esteem
- Difficulties functioning in school, social skills
- Grief and loss, past trauma
- Families in transition (e.g., separation/divorce, loss of family member, leaving an abusive relationship, etc)
“The Family Roots program gave our family the opportunity to connect in a meaningful way and face many of our challenges. It was such a gift to be supported by such an open and giving group of people. I can not recommend this program enough. ” mother, FR participant, 2014
What activities will we do?
A group of six to seven families will meet once per month to share in play and adventure over the course of six months. Participants will also be supported by clinical counsellors throughout the course of the program, with monthly family therapy sessions, personal coaching, and parenting resources as needed.
The adventure weekends will include activities such as:
- kayaking and canoeing
- rock wall climbing and ropes courses
- overnight camping
- games and initiatives
- nature connection
What will our family learn?
- Bonding and community building
- Communication and conflict resolution skills
- Trust and leadership
- Emotional literacy
- Self-regulation skills
- Goal setting and problem solving
- Tapping into our personal resources and strengths
“It really is hard to wrap up how much fun, how much bonding, talking, thinking, introspection, discussion and quiet times affected us so profoundly. So much so that it continues to be present in our every day lives months after the program is finished. We are a better family because of the program. The program is as good as it is because of the people, that really made the difference. Supportive, kind, non judge mental, helpful, incite full, intelligent brave souls who gave so much of themselves and their time to all of us. Thank you doesn’t seem like enough.” Father, FR participant
Adventure Program Dates (2017)
- June 10th and 11th
- July 15
- August 11th to 13th (camping)
- September 9th
- October 14th
How do we apply?
The intake process this year will begin with screening conducted through the Single Parent Resource Centre. All applicants must be members of the centre, and if not already, can easily sign up to become members. Please contact them at 250-385-1114 ext 226. www.singleparentvictoria.ca
For any questions about the program and how to apply, please contact Katy at firstname.lastname@example.org or 250-885-0275.