New dates announced!
Fall 2023: November 16, 17, 23, & 24
Have you always wanted to take your therapeutic practice into the outdoors, but not felt the confidence or background to do so? Then this is the course for you!
Join us as we delve into the exciting and nourishing field of nature-based therapy. Our hope is to inspire more practitioners to bring their own deep-felt connection with the natural world into their helping work in an experiential, integrated, and embodied way. If you work with adults, kids, families or groups…this practice will enliven and inspire you. Participants have been invigorated by the opportunity to share their passion with like-minded practitioners from across Canada (and the world) as we engage in rich discussions, and build the growing community of nature-based practitioners.
This training, led by Katy Rose, MA, RCC, and Bonnie Dyck, MSW, RCC, provides an overview of the theory and practical applications behind our work in Nature-based Therapy (drawing from our experience working with hundreds of individuals and families over the last 12 years).
The training includes:
- Pre-course material (video, articles, and preparatory nature-based practices)
- 4 half days of teaching (focusing on theory overview and discussion/reflection)
- Outdoor experiential invitations that students are expected to practice between day 2 and 3 of the course (one week to get outside in your own community to feel the work experientially)
- Final course day is centered around debriefing the experiential, practicing NBT skills, and addressing logistical and practical questions about how to apply these principles in your clinical work.
- Foundational theories that underlie nature-based therapy
- Practitioners relationship with nature
- Nature as co-therapist
- How to do an ecological-identity assessment, and match interventions to client needs
- Risk, play and adventure
- Ethical and cultural considerations
- Bonding and Belonging; working with family systems
- Experiential activities that you can apply to your practice right away
- Logistical considerations of nature-based therapy practice
To enroll, It is required that participants have training in counselling or allied disciplines:
- MD Psychiatry
- Phd or PsyD in Clinical Psychology or equivalent
- MA in Counselling Psychology, Social Work, Child and Youth Care
- BA in Social Work or Child and Youth Care
- Diploma in child and family studies
- Student in these disciplines
What participants have said:
“The first two days of the course were truly invaluable. I feel that I have come away from them with a renewed drive in the field and a deeper understanding of how to focus my attention onto attunement in nature rather than mastery. I have particularly liked all of the breakout group discussions we have had and the interactive components of the course. I was a little nervous at first about doing a nature-therapy course online rather than in nature, but the content we have discussed to this point has been easily digestible and I have high hopes about my abilities to integrate the learnings from this course and from the advanced offerings into future practice.” 2023
“Your theoretical orientation and the language you chose to talk about your work resonates deeply with me and has provided the solid ground I needed to trust my own intuition and creativity and start taking therapy outside. I will be forever grateful. ” – 2021
“I found the playful activities lively and good models of some of the concepts presented upon. The course flow was of a great pace and I felt both Dave and Katy did a wonderful job navigating Zoom and utilizing it’s capabilities. The training was a lovely complement to reading the nature-based therapy book.” – training participant 2020
“This course was absolutely excellent. It can be hard when curious about alternative therapies to find the good stuff amidst all the folks who’ve just hung a sign up at the end of their driveway. The Human Nature Counselling team is the real deal – knowledgeable and truly walking their talk in their own professional spaces, both indoor and out. I learned tangible skills for supporting my clients in their connection to nature as well as taking my work outdoors. It met all expectations – I loved it!” 2021
DatesNovember 16,17, 23, 24, 2023
Times9:30 AM - 12:30 PM PST
LocationThe comfort of your own home, on Zoom, and in the nearby nature you have easy access to.
Fees$375. There is a reduced student rate of $275.
To register visit: humannature.janeapp.com
Cancellation & Payment Policy
Your workshop spot is reserved just for you. A late cancellation or unattended session leaves a hole in the course that another participant could have filled.
Payment is due in full upon registration.
Any cancellations made for up to one month will get a full refund.
Any cancellations made between one month and two weeks before the start will be offered a 50% refund.
Any cancellations made within two weeks of the start date will only be refunded if your spot can be filled.
To cancel, please email Emlyn at [email protected]