Parent Course: Navigating gaming/screen time use in youth
This 6 week parent group presents ideas specifically designed for parents who wonder, “What can I do to help my gaming teen?” The aim is to equip parents with some key tools that will help them take appropriate steps. This is a content based series that also provides an opportunity for connecting with other parents who are experiencing similar challenges. Along with current research and tips, there will be time for discussion that enriches the experience of support beyond just reading about the topic.
In addition, individual sessions can be booked for those parents who would like further individualized support.
Facilitator: Bonnie Dyck, MSW, RCC
Bonnie has almost 20 years experience as a therapist and 7 years direct experience as a Family Therapist for a youth addiction program that inclusively addressed gaming addiction.
- This course is supported by a Human Nature Student Intern
- Min of 6 households, max of 10
Throughout the 6 weeks, we will explore:
- Benefits and consequences of gaming
- Adolescent brain development
- Gaming-reward pathway
- Addiction vs. problematic use
- Understanding Counterwill
- CALM Connected Parenting Approach
- Stages of Change
- Motivation and ambivalence
- Family foundations as a springboard to boundary setting
- Discipline versus Punishment
- Risk and Protective Factors
- Strengthening relationships through managing interactions
- Shifting of unhelpful entrenched patterns
- Maximizing your influence as a parent