This small group program is for female-identifying and non-binary or gender-diverse youth, ages 8-11. Our group container holds 6-8 participants, and focuses on building confidence and self-esteem, positive peer connections, mental well-being, and the exploration of coping skills and emotional regulation tools for the stressors and worries of life.
Our facilitation style emphasizes land-based and human connection, awareness, deep listening, and cultivating group safety. Within our connected group container, participants will be supported to expand their comfort zones, to explore new and empowering vocabularies of nature connection and expressive arts play, and to deepen into a sense of belonging in community. Each program day will involve wanders and play in nature. Our focus activities require zero previous experience, can attune to group interest, and may include kinetic or quiet and mindful adventures, painting and drawing, hikes or games, ink-making, carving, clay and nature sculpture, shelter and fire skills, bird or plant connection, wild tea-foraging, weaving, and play with song, story, or movement.
Lynx Trax takes place in the outdoors for 4 hours rain or shine, so youth should be prepared to explore in the elements and develop a deeper connection with nature!
- 6 program days, 4 hours each
- In beautiful Nature setting of Witty’s Lagoon, exploring forests, river, lagoon and beach landscapes!
- Includes one in-person 1:1 expressive arts session with Cilla Holmes prior to the start of the program to develop trust and comfort, and so we can get to know the youth’s goals and passions!
This program is led by Teresa Winter, RTC, and Cilla Holmes (practicum in Expressive Arts Therapy) who both hold years of experience in nature connection mentoring and supporting the growth and well-being of children and teens. To learn more about our facilitators, read their bios.
1) Complete our referral form on the right, and Zahura will be in touch to confirm if there are still spots available, and connect you with the facilitators.
2) Interested participants and a guardian will attend a brief intake meeting over Zoom with Teresa or Cilla to review their goals and interest in the program, meet the facilitators, and ask any questions about what to expect.
3) Send payment to confirm and hold your spot in the program (see policy below)
This program is subsidized thanks to the generous support from the Greater Victoria Savings & Credit Union Legacy Fund held at Vancity Community Foundation.
Payment and Cancellation Policy:
Full payment for the group program is due upon registration. If this is not possible, we offer payment plans. Just contact our Program Manager, Zahura, for more information at [email protected]!
Sliding Scale rates are available to ensure that this program is available to all youth who are interested. Please inquire!
Your program spot is reserved just for you. A late cancellation or a no-show leaves a hole in the program that another client could have filled.
- Any cancellations made up to four weeks ahead of the program start date will receive a full refund.
- Any cancellations made within the four weeks ahead of the program start date will receive a 50% refund, unless the spot can be filled, in which case, a full refund minus a 5% administration fee will be offered.
- No refunds will be made for missed days after the program has started.
Please note that the Lynx Trax programs are highly in demand. Every fall, we prioritize new youth to take part in the program to give them a chance to experience it. If you have already taken part in Lynx Trax and would like to take part again, please let us know and we will add your name to our list for interest; however, we cannot guarantee that you will be given a spot in the program.
For further questions about our Group Programs, please contact Zahura at [email protected].
DatesFriday afternoons: April 12, April 26, May 10, May 24, June 7, June 21
Times12:30pm - 4:30pm
LocationWitty's Lagoon, Metchosin; potentially other locations
Program FacilitatorsTeresa Winter, RTC & Cilla Holmes
Fees$600 (no gst). Commitment to all 6 days required. *Subsidized rates are available based on household income. See our Counselling Services page and email us for more information. Nobody is turned away for lack of finances.
Lynx Trax Referral Form
General referral form for expressing interest in participating in the Lynx Trax program