Human-Nature Counselling Society is on a quest to improve mental health for children and teens and you can help!
The pandemic has been tough for everyone, but it has been especially hard on youth struggling with anxiety and depression. Over the past 18 months the Society has received a record number of requests for counselling services – many from families with limited ability to pay.
The Society is holding a fall fundraiser to address this need. Starting October 10 – World Mental Health Day – we invite you to make a donation in any amount to support mental health services for children and teens from low-income families. Your gift will allow them to participate in counselling services and programs they could not otherwise afford:
- A donation of up to fifty dollars ($50) will support our accessible counselling bursary fund. Bursaries allow low-income children and youth to participate in therapy sessions at reduced rates, or at no cost.
- $60 will fund one nature-based therapy session with one of our practicum students.
- $95 will fund one nature-based therapy session with our Child & Youth Support Workers.
- $150 or above will support bursaries for children and youth to participate in our nature-based group programs – Coyote Tracks, Lynx Trax, and New Roots. These programs help to build confidence, create positive peer connections, and reduce feelings of social isolation.
- $500 will provide a full bursary for a youth to participate in Coyote Tracks or Lynx Trax.
Join the Human-Nature Counselling Society Adventure Quest
Everyone who donates will receive an invitation to participate in the new Human-Nature Counselling Society Adventure Quest. Designed by our volunteers, the Quest aims to give you a taste of what we do — get people to connect with nature in a meaningful and bodyful way!
In addition to the Quest, you will automatically be entered into a draw to win prizes from our wonderful sponsors and friends!!
- Gift certificates from French Oven Bakery and Picnic Too
- Apple Airpods
- A one-night stay at “The Hideaway Cabin in Jordan River”. More to be announced!
For your info…
- You can put any donation amount in! Any amount will help us get closer to our goal!
- We have chosen to use Simplyk (Simplic), a Canadian company which is a 100% free online fundraising platform for nonprofits. They ask for a “tip” but this is not required.
About Human-Nature Counselling Society
Human-Nature Counselling Society (HNCS) is a non-profit organization that provides nature-based and telehealth counselling sessions for individuals, families and groups. Outdoor sessions involve accessing nearby nature locations where engaging experiential activities are offered alongside counselling services. This approach is often very successful for children and teens who do respond well to traditional, in-office counselling sessions.
HNCS serves the communities of Greater Victoria, Sooke, Westshore, Mill Bay, Cowichan Valley, and Sea to Sky Corridor. In 2021 alone, our team has provided around 2500 counselling hours, and helped over 180 families get access to mental health support. In addition, we have served over 100 people across 6 different Nature-Based Therapy group programs – fighting the isolation and stressors brought on by Covid-19. Our new subsidized income-based scale has helped 52 people access mental health support this year who wouldn’t have otherwise been able to afford it!
We at Human-Nature Counselling Society acknowledge that we live and work on the unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples. Join us in gratitude for Indigenous lands and commitment to support Indigenous peoples to regenerate their lifeways and earthways wherever you are.